Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Getting to Start Over

Have you ever had one of those days or weeks where you wish you could turn back the clock and start over? I know I sure have, on more than one occasion. Today was one of those days.

  • 5am – get up and stumble downstairs to turn on coffee pot and feed cats. Note to self: dishing canned cat food at 5am does not go on my list of favorite things to do in the early morning.
  • 5:10 – 6:50 – things are pretty much “normal” (teeth brushing, fixing other half’s lunch, reading online news, etc)
  • 6:50 – the realization that I am supposed to leave in 25 minutes sets in – ACK!!
  • 7:20 – heading out to the car after spending a frantic 25 minutes or so getting showered and dressed, putting on make-up, making my lunch, and forgetting to grab a bottle of my pain relief lotion (ARGH!)
  • 7:25 – nearly hit by a driver who was making a right turn on red as I was making a left turn with the green turn arrow.

o Go to enter the building and door is locked. Notice “Will Return” sign is set for 8 o’clock.

o Put my things back in the car and pass the time jotting down some ideas that have been bouncing around in my head

  • 8:00 – still no sign of Todd, so I continue to wait
  • 8:25 – drive down to a local BP to buy a cold drink and use the facilities (dang coffee!!)
  • 8:28 – car battery is dead (and the battery is only a month old!)
  • 8:29 – debate beating my head against the side of the BP but call other half instead
  • 8:35 – walk to Walmart across the street to buy jumper cables since other half has never bought any (?!?!)
  • 9:00 – other half picks me up from Walmart and we move the car so he can jump the battery.

o The battery takes the charge and the car starts.

o I drive the Durango to work and the other half drives the car home … where the battery promptly dies again.

  • 9:25 – park at Alabaster; put my now warm drink in the freezer to chill and sit down to fill out paperwork
  • 10:25 – arrive home again since I can’t actually work until my employment packet is processed (a worker's comp thing Todd was told aboutt this morning!)
  • 2:00 – make a quick run to Walmart to pick up a few things to hold us until Saturday
  • 2:35 – almost hit by a speeding vehicle in our subdivision a block from our street
  • 2:36 – decided I’m not driving anywhere for a couple of days after the two near misses and the car’s battery dying


Yep, today was one of those days I wish I could start over. But unlike other days such as this, I do get to start over next Monday, my first “official” day of work.


No comments: